Thursday, February 21, 2008

Feeling Eighteen....

It's snowing and soft and quiet and lovely. The sky is that beautiful rosy colour caused by city lights on snowy nights with the trees black and spiky against it. How I do love the view from my window.

Bob and I went to our little neighborhood pub and walking home it just put me in the moment of being college. I went to college in Bowling Green and we always went out on Thursdays and always walked because no one had a car. Today is Thursday and we went out...of course one of the major differences is then we never went out until at least 10:00 and tonight we were home at the latest by 10:00.

...ahhh, but the snow. It reminded me of walking with my friends and feeling free and adventurous...and hopeful. Hopeful about your dreams, your life. I don't think that I really ever felt closer to those people than when I was walking downtown with them in the snow. The snow created our own little world, somehow protective of our conversations. It was just being in the moment.

...so we flash forward some thirtysomething years and I realize that I am grateful to be where I am. I walked home holding my husband's hand and felt all those feelings I felt long ago on those wintry walks...adventure, freedom, hope...but also peace because I know I have a partner who faces the stuff with me I had no idea about back then...the hard stuff...but the conversations we had years ago on those wintry nights was about hard stuff...it was just simpler hard stuff.

1 comment:

Gumby said...

I love the white light that pours in my bedroom window on a snow-laden night. so pure, so peaceful. like there is nothing wrong in the world at all. if I had my way we would keep a nice blanket of snow from November 1 through February 28 (29 in leap years).