Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My Christmas Spirit...

...has not been so spirituous of late, but as I sit here and see snow out my window and the lights from our tree reflected I think it might be arousing.

We had friends over last Saturday to trim the tree and it was lovely. The menfolk did the lights...as it should be. It's a Boy Job. (Sorry, but there are some things that are just Boy Jobs...especially at Holidays. My Dad was the only one who ever put the lights on our Christmas tree...so there you go.) The Lady-folk hung the garland because it involved draping...and well, that would be a girl job. We all did our jobs well and the tree is lovely. Best part...people that I love were there to do this together.

Every Christmas we have lived here...when we bring our Christmas tree home...I always think about the families that lived here before us and the debates about where to put the tree. Our house was built in 1941...so that was a lot of debating. The funny thing is that I think all of the trees probably were in the same spot...it just feels right...like this is where the tree belongs. Tried to put it in different places last year but it ended back where it was meant to be.

Since we have lived here, our Christmas trees have gotten...well...just fatter and more Christmas tree y. Don't know how to explain it. Like that in our present we have connected with the past and all those who had celebrations here long before us.

It is a whisper that is embracing and comforting.

I wish for everyone this next year to have "Wings That Work". That is taken from the title of one of my favorite books "A Wish for Wings that Work" by Berkeley Breathed. He was the creator of "Bloom County" and this was his Christmas book about Opus, the little penguin, and his dream to fly.

This little book reminds me that in each of us lies a big dream...and that our dreams are in our reach...that we can all fly in a way that we never thought we could.

It's Christmas...it's about hope and love.

Go forth and spread joy.

May you always be blessed.

No comments: