Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dinner...

Bob and I went to dinner last at Figlio's. Lovely little place in Grandview. Small, charming, good food, not horribly expensive. We are always fascinated by the lovely dried roses that are spiked upside down to the wall as art. Simple, beautiful, elegant and one of those things you see that makes you think "I could do that". We could because Bob grows beautiful roses...we just haven't found the perfect wall space to put the "I could do that" project into practice.

As we were leaving, I ran into the mother of Cory's best forever friend. It took me a moment to recognize her...it was one of those moments when you know someone and it takes a moment for the Rolodex in your head to flip through the pages...I know that I had this perplexed look because I didn't place her right away. Seeing her just brought back such a flood of memories.

Carson (that is Cory's friend) was the best kid. He had the most infectious laugh when he was little. He and Cory became friends in Kindergarten and Carson spent alot of timme at our house and Cory at their's. I think back and know that Cory got the better end of the deal. Carson's family took Cory to Chautauqua TWICE...we took Carson roller skating and to see Mel Brook's "Men in Tights". I oo remember Carson leaning over to me during the movie and saying "This really isn't very good, is it?". I just looked and nodded. I guess what I mean to say is that Carson got the beer experience with us while Cory got to taste champagne with Carson's family.

...but it never seemed weird. Janice and Karl are two of the loveliest most generous people in the world. Both supremely intelligent and just...nice. I did tell Janice last night that I never called Karl (and probably never will) anything except Mr.Peterson. He would come to pick Carson up and there would be this large man...a larger than life presence ...and I would always call him Mr Peterson. He would say "Call me Karl" and I would usually answer "Okay...Karl. Mr. Peterson". That answer was always met by a gracious booming laugh. She laughed loudly, and I don't think she's a loud laugher.

Your kids lose touch with their friends, just like we did. Luckily for Cory, he went to a samll high school and since graduation there has been a steady flow of the Grandview Gypsies to the Portland area. The friends he grew up with from a young age are the people he hangs with now in Portland. Having moved so much growing up, I admire that consistency of friendship. You find the people you need and love and want tohang with even if it means moving across country. One of the first things that Janice said to me was that Carson had been out to see Cory. I guess she and I know how important thhis friendship is to them...more than they know.

A side bar about the Grandview Gypsies: you know the scene in "Sleepless in Seattle" where the flight plans were crossing? I swear for awhile that was how it was between who was going to Portalnd, who was coming back to Ohio. which meant a new apartment and moving every couple of months. It got real confusing.

Janice said something great to me last night. Her comment was "Cory was always just the most wonderful kid". I do think she glowed a little talking about himj ust like I do when talking about Carson. I loved her son and she loved mine.

We have both raised men that are as we both hoped they would be. Even though I never knew Janice well, we both had our hands in. Our young men are better for it.