Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Dad...

...is never going to be the Dad he was before all this stuff happened. He gets fuzzy and he was never a fuzzy man.

My sister and I deal with the situation in such different ways. She is the pitbull in the hospital...asking questions...demanding answers. How I admire that strength...wish I had it.

My sister is remarkable. She has put her life on hold (she is retired) but she has put her life on hold to be with my Mum. They have had such an oil and water relationship that maybe this is good thing. They both relinquish power for the good of the whole.

I told my Mum I couldn't be down for a week until the first in November. That was met with a silent moment. A beat...and then "I know you have to work." Made me feel bad.

My Dad's introduction of my claim to fame as being married three times bothered me. I know he was not himself when he said that (and it was funny in an uncomfortable kind of way)...but what came out of him was so in the moment. A Truth. I realized that I am the Black Sheep of our family...took me by surprise.

2 comments:

KL said...

Black sheep? PLEASE. You march to the sound of a different drummer. And THAT is why you are loved more than you'll ever know. The fuzzy moments after surgery brought your dad's thoughts to YOU ... he was thinking about YOU and your life. He was probably thinking that you had two previous husbands but how wonderful it is that you have now found complete and utter happiness with someone who is PERFECT for you. He's gotta be thrilled about that.

cynderloowho said...

It reminded of "Bridget Jones Diary" when she was at the Author Party...always introduce people with interesting facts...and yes...that is an interesting fact about me.