Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Sister...

...is a remarkable woman. I wouldn't say that we are particularly close. We have only recently learned to say to each other "I love you" when we end a phone conversation.

We mean it...we know it...why did it take us so long to say it out loud?

My sister and I are so different...yin and yang. She has always been grounded...always seeming to have a plan and knowing where she was going and I was always kind of flighty by comparison. I wonder if I just given more leave to be flighty...but I don't think it's in her genetic make up.

My sister was a teacher. She tells of people coming up to her in the grocery store or wherever and saying "Miss Davis, I was in your class. Do you remember me?" I don't think it's so important that she remembered them...but that they remembered her. She made a mark.

My sister was a tough teacher...and she taught Home Ec and moved to computing when the Home Ec department got cut. She expected the best out of everyone. You were given a task...complete it. She demanded expectations be met...no compromise.

My sister's dilemma...she worked in affluent school district where the students became "clients" and "My child cannot fail". She also worked in a school district at the time when mainstreaming was the buzzword and practice. Good in theory. My sister had a couple of students who were Autistic...maybe Augberger's Syndrome...but they weren't easy to deal with...but she did.

Most importantly, she did it with a lot of physical pain. Her knees are bad...her back is bad...quite frankly she's a mess.

She has no idea of what a mark she has made.

1 comment:

KL said...

Gosh it's funny that you wrote a blog about your sister...because I just wrote one about my sister(s) too. And I said the same thing about my sister Linda -- we are so opposite, too! Love you to pieces. And I do like the profile pic, but if you want to change it, it's okay! :)