Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I would have been left on the plains...or another way the "Media" has tainted us

We have a fireplace and I love everything about it. It just goes with the bookshelves, it gives ambiance and warmth, it's romantic and I build the worst fires in the world. No matter how many newspapers I wad up underneath the logs, no matter how high I get the flame going with the gas starter thingy (which scared the crap out of me the first time I got bold enough to use it...it makes a big WHOOSH when it kicks on)...I only get a glow. Not a Norman Rockwell picturesque fire, not a lovely English cottage fire...I got nothing but little glowing sparks...a big flame and then nothing but slow burning embers.

Isn't it funny...I was just thinking about how we build fires in our fireplaces and am equating it to relationships or what we do in our lives...I guess a revelation. Maybe I have always wanted a big flame...passion, drama, blahblahblah. What I have is the little smoldering stuff...which actually when you look at embers are the fires that burn the white hottest, have the bluest purest flames and really are the prettiest to watch...the bluer the flame the hotter the fire...you just have to wait for it to spark something else.

I did get frustrated one day making a fire and it went to smoking and didn't ignite and told Bob that I would have been the pioneer that would have been kicked off the Wagon Train...left on the Plains. He laughed and said you just never knew how to build a fire but you would learned if someone taught you.

I guess he's teaching me.

1 comment:

Gumby said...

I love the way you weave seemingly unrelated topics into a wonderful whole.

I've had "passion" in a past relationship (you knew him). I much prefer the calm, solid, love that I have now.

and do you stack your wood? You need at least 3 logs - 2 on the bottom, 1 on the top. It creates an air tunnel that helps the fire burn.