Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Bought a Wedding Dress...

Not unusual....except for the fact that I have been married five years and am not planning a renewal ceremony in the near future.

How did this occur, you may ask?

I happened to find the best Thrift Store I have ever been to in my Columbus history of Thrift Stores. I had heard tell of this thrift store and it was wonderful. My girlfriend and I were shopping around and ended up in the area where the special dresses were.. lots of wedding dresses, prom stuff. I came across this dress that just called to me. It is a cross between Juliet and "Bram Stoker's Dracula". The back of the dress is a work of art with this train that is pleated and just flows. I just for some reason went ga-ga over this dress. I put it in the cart with the rest of the stuff and eventually tried it on. It was perfect...length, everything. The maker tag of the dress is Priscilla of Boston which means this dress cost in the arena of $900. It always surprises me when stuff like this shows up at these places. I know that I have bought some clothing at thrift stores that definitely has had bad karma...but I have also bought stuff just to rescue it...a beautiful hand knit sweater and family Bible which will confuse later generations are things that come to mind. This dress was a rescue and meant to be mine.

I bring this wedding dress home and am feeling kind of stupid about buying a WEDDING DRESS??? How stupid is Bob going to think I am for buying a WEDDING DRESS?...even if it was inexpensive, he is more into the "Do we need it? mindset.

Here is the conversation:
Me: You may laugh, but I bought a wedding dress at the thrift store. (Explain cost ratio). Isn't it pretty?
He: Yeah, it is pretty.
Me: You don't think it was stupid that I bought this?
He: No...these things are like your art form.
Me: (Astonished) Huh

End of scene: He goes to get get food...(actually, he did)

I just thought that was the one of the most wonderful thing he has ever said to me...it was a thought out loud that makes you know that person so gets you.

Here IS the thing that he would have rolled his eyes at but knew that I would at some point in time. He had gone to bed early...and I played dress up. Yes...I put the dress on and walked the train. If I do say do myself, it is a challenge to flip a train around while trying to strut to Madonna "Express Yourself".

Sure was fun...and I love that my Bob got the whole thing.

2 comments:

KL said...

I always get a little choked up when I see hand knitted or crocheted baby blankets/afghans in the thrift store. I think -- some baby's auntie or granny took the time and love to make that special blanket -- an heirloom really -- and here it sits in the thrift store. I had to stop rescuing them because John started to think I was hinting at having MORE BABIES. As if! Love you, dearie.

Gumby said...

I got such a warm feeling inside when he said that was your art form. Such an accepting, supportive statement.