Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Fight...

...over bedding has become an issue in our house. I like to crawl into a bed...well, crawl isn't the best description...I suppose slide would be better...into a bed that is tucked tight enough to be an envelope. Bob, on the other hand, wants to be free. When he gets into bed, the first thing he does is kick the sheets out at end of the bed. All well and good and part of marriage. I have learned how to make a bed and only hospital corner one side and not grumble too much when I make the bed in the morning because it always needs remade like you are changing the sheets.

Our bedspread has become a bone of contention. It is pink gingham with two big ruffles at the bottom and I love it. Bob has put up with it because I love it but the warfare with the bedspread has begun. Every night it either ends up heaped on my side of the bed or totally banished to the floor because he gets mad at it...which for some reason just pisses me off. Logically, I know that I am being irrational...he is insulting my pink bedspread and my efforts to bring pretty into our bedroom!!!

Bob is all about form follows function (did I ever mentioned that he was a Philosophy major...which to me equates with he majored in thinking...which to anyone who knows me means that he and I really ARE ying and yang). His explanation of the fight with the bedspread is that he never slept under one and it's too heavy.

Okay, that makes sense and is logical...

...and I am okay with that...

...but I still want the pretty bedroom that I never had as a kid. I wanted the white furniture and the canopy while my parents bought the furniture that was utilitarian classic dark wood that you would be able to take with you when you grew up and moved. My sister and I both took our bedroom suites into our grownup lives.

My friend Molly recently saw our bedroom and liked the pink bedspread and wondereed how Bob felt about it...it does take a real man to deal with pink gingham. I guess I kind of blew the question off...

We are now sleeping underneath a quilt and a blanket.

Compromise and love are wonderful.

No comments: