Monday, October 20, 2008

A Love Letter...

...to my husband. He probably will never read this because every time he has read this little missive his response is "I already knew that."

I came across a picture of Bob that I had taken when we lived in Delaware and he was sitting on the porch. The picture is blurry and not the best but to me it is everything that he is and everything that I treasure about him.

I love his openness and innocence and wonder at everything...but it is coupled with a grown up awareness. He has an integrity that just emanates from him. He always tries to do his best and very near to all times does. He rolls with the punches.

He is a realist...he is a dreamer. Sometimes I see those things clash within him...and now I understand why he was a Philosophy major. Oh, those little epiphanies of life.

He worries more than he would wish and probably doesn't think that I know that about him...and understand because I chew on everything and he gets that about me.

He chastises himself about his bad habits and tries to correct them and frequently does...he is so much better at taking care of himself than I am...and he worries about me because I don't so much take good care of myself. I have a tendency to be a candle at both ends. It bothers me that I worry him.

I admire and love his tenacity.

He is such a brother to his friends...and I am glad that he found his Twin Brother of Different Mother, John. They understand each so well.

He has the best laugh and is not afraid to share it. I love that I tickle him by talking into his neck and he hates it and loves it at the same time. Hates that it tickles, hates that it is annoying and he laughs anyway, even while pushing me away.

He is a man in the moment...and he has left places abruptly leaving people to ask and ponder "What about Bob?" I always thought it one of his charming quirks...but could be upsetting to others...even insulting. He has know thought to include the goodbye portion of the program...being in the moment does not always mean deference to social graces...but he knows himself and we should all take a lesson on when to leave from the master.

I thank whatever fate in my life that brought us together. Neither one of us has an idea of how long we have been married...I do believe it is in the five or year six year range...but we know our anniversary day...November 16. (We had to postpone our ceremony slightly because our guests were watching Ohio State play whoever in a championship season and it went into two (I think) overtimes...anyone who knows me would know how ironic that is)...if you know the game and year...let me know how long we've been married.

To steal from Joni Mitchell:

He's a singer in the park
He's a walker in the rain, he's a dancer in the dark.
My old man, keeping away my blues.

He's my sunshine in the morning,
He's my fireworks at the end of the day.
He's the warmest chord I ever heard...

Thank you, Joni Mitchell...how I love that man of mine.

My world rocks because of him.

No comments: