Friday, May 7, 2010

Observations....

....gleaned from the Island

While sitting on a beach, there should always be small children in big hats nearby to watch as they run to the ocean with their Mom chasing behind. Short little legs jumping in tide pools is thing of joy.

God did a really good thing when he made the ocean and sand.

Every vacation needs planners and go with the flow-ers. I am definitely a flow-er. I hope I didn't make my planners crazy.

You do need two weeks and not because of travel time. It takes a good two days to get into the rhythm of where you are...especially going from North to South.

Breaking things (like a bathtub water stopper drain thingy) doesn't have to be a moment of panic. We panic because it's not our house and we (I) felt like I broke the house. You do what you do at home...find someone to fix it.

Really nice, thick bath towels are thing of beauty and wonder.

Breakfast should always be eaten overlooking a dock on the ocean with an open window nearby so you can smell the sea air. Watching a family trying to kayak while we ate was a bonus. We all had fun.

The Metropolitan martini bar had closed. Made me sad it wasn't there. Was looking forward to having a Sex and the City moment with Connie...reminiscent of my first visits to the Island. Kay, Connie and I having a drink there....talking and laughing. Connie, Amy and I having having a drink there...talking and laughing. Realized I was trying to capture a feeling...that going out dressed up moment of being with your girlfriends...

Rocking chairs should be a requirement on every porch. They encourage conversation...and the wonderful comfortable silences. I will find one for my porch.

Going into the ocean with a piece of glorified styrofoam will make you want to hit that "perfect wave" and ride into shore. Granted the waves may be three feet...but I did catch a good one and I laughed like a loon. It was just freeing and perfect.

Hate jelly fish. Was out in the ocean and saw a dark spot floating close to me....jellyfish...couldn't move fast enough away. Saw big ones washed up onshore from the low tide. Saw a product in a store I wish I had bought...Jelly Fish Squish...it was a spray for jelly fish stings.

I made the comment at dinner one night that there could be a business opportunity in the peeing on jelly fish stings...what a great comment to make to make a good impression on your friends beau. Still think it's a valuable defintiely male dominated service...better aim.

No comments: