Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Begin the Beguine...

...and my to do list has been started. Hung sheets and pillowcases out on the clothesline and brought them back in on the same day! Bringing laundry in on the same day is a big deal.

I have had experience with clotheslines in my past. I love them. I like taking the clothes out in a basket and enjoy the act of putting the clothes on the line..the satisfying way the clothespins snap in your fingers and hold the fabric...and I am notorious for not bringing the clothes back in. If I had a nickel for every clothesline of laundry that got rained on and or redirtied from dust...well...I could...okay...not a fortune...but STILL!

I wonder why do I do this...the lingering of the clothes on the line? It's not hard to bring take stuff off the line...it's more work if I leave it hang there...and I have faded many an item of clothing leaving it on the line.

A clothesline means comfort to me...my Mom had one at certain points. My Grandmas did. I think my Grandma Egloff had one that was run between buildings in East Pittsburgh...I may be romanticizing but I think it's true. It gives me warm fuzzies to see the fabric waving in the breeze. It's somehow tradition and security all rolled into one...and that's why I hate to bring the laundry off the line. I

...except for this particular clothesline.

I think it's a little rebellious to have one in our neighborhood. I don't think our neighbors mind because I think they interpret it as "greenness"...they plant gardens and lay patios (she...not he...did it and I was so impressed!)and ride bikes and...well...I have a clothesline.

It feels like tradition with a little rebellion...I like it.

It'll make me get the clothes off the line on the same day.

No comments: